We want our students to be well prepared for their careers or for advanced study. To enhance their education and success, we have these graduation requirements:
- Have a 2.5 grade point average in journalism and communications courses
- Complete 128 credit hours, of which 80 are outside of the school, 65 are in the liberal arts and sciences and no more than 48 are in journalism and communications; additionally, majors cannot complete more than six total credit hours in JAC 465 (Internship) and JAC 467 (Practicum)
- Complete a university-approved minor or an 18-credit hour area of emphasis outside of the School of Journalism and Communications
- Complete a school-approved internship at a media organization appropriate to the student’s major
- Complete a portfolio that demonstrates that 1) the student has mastered the basic skills of his or her major and 2) that the student’s work reflects a critical and ethical understanding of the profession
All journalism and communications majors are required to successfully complete at least one approved internship before they graduate. The internship period must be a minimum of 150 hours and can be for course credit or to meet graduation requirements. Internships for non-course credit can be taken anytime during the student’s academic year.